Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 7, 2012

weight saga

So our little man has been through it in the weight department. After he gained his 2 oz. we took him back a week later for his 2 week check up. He had not gained anything...not even a half an oz. He was weighing in at 6lbs. 5.5 oz - still 1lb 2.5oz smaller than he his birthweight. He had grown a half an inch and was 20.5 inches long, and his head was measuring at 13.75 inches. So, we decided to move his feedings to every 2-2.5 hours and come back in 2 days. Two days later he had only gained a 1/2 an oz. Enter the formula.

I have to be honest and say that I really struggled with the mommy guilt. I felt like a failure to be completely honest - because I was his only source of nourishment, and I couldn't provide what he needed to grow and thrive. After some tears and lots of prayers I feel much better about doing whatever needs to be done to help my boy grow.

So, we are supplementing with formula. We started out only giving him 2 oz. 2-3 feedings a day and he managed to gain 5 oz. in 3 days!!! yay!! Now, however he wants it after every feeding and will cry and cry if he doesn't have a bottle immediately following nursing. So - we are still trying to figure out this whole feeding thing, but the important thing is that our boy is gaining weight and is content and growing.

I love that little man!!

1 comment:

The Nealons said...

I'm glad precious little Sawyer is gaining weight. We went through something similar with Connor. He dropped down to less than 6 lbs at the hospital. My milk was also slow to come in, he had sucking issues, and was basically starving. Brian insisted that we supplement with formula. I didn't feel great about it either, but it proved to be a God-send. We had to go back to the pediatrician for weight checks too, and in his second month of like he gained a pound a week! He went from long and lanky to a little chunk! Hang in there and do what is best for you and your little man. I ended up pumping for 8.5 months and supplemented with formula much of that time as well. Sawyer is obviously thriving and is lucky to have you guys as parents! Congratulations again!!